Product Summary:Hugo 2 by Chord Electronics is a brilliant DAC and headphone amp that builds on the ground-breaking original. Designed for the home as well as mobile use thanks to the internal rechargeable battery. A Modern-Day Classic!... Click To Read More
Everything Ships Free!
The price shown includes shipping and insurance.Learn More
Trade to Upgrade
Most items purchased from Jaguar can be traded back for credit toward future purchases. See our Customer Service section for futher details.Learn More
Have Questions? 844-462-8346Call our experts for product info and advice or chat now with a specialist.
Hugo 2 DAC by Chord Electronics
Hugo 2 by Chord Electronics is a brilliant DAC and headphone amp that builds on the ground-breaking original. Designed for the home as well as mobile use thanks to the internal rechargeable battery. A Modern-Day Classic!
In 2014, Chord introduced Hugo, a revolutionary portable DAC and headphone amp that became a landmark product in the audio landscape. Advances in digital technology, including the latest FPGAs and WTA (Watts Transient Aligned) filters, have enabled Chord to introduce a next-generation version, Hugo 2, featuring flexible new features, plus next-level sonic performance.
Hugo 2 can be used on the go, with headphones or IEMs, or at home within a conventional audio system. The line-level output and full-function remote control add real flexibility in full-size and desktop systems.
The device offers four digital inputs (optical, coaxial, and HD USB) plus extended-range wireless with Bluetooth, high-resolution file playback up to 768kHz, and up to DSD512 (Octa DSD), via its HD USB input. Analog outputs include 2x RCA, plus 3.5mm and 6.35mm headphone outputs.
A four-function switch filter offers a useful degree of user-selectable frequency-shaping, bringing warm and soft or transparent and incisive presentations, giving additional flexibility and user control. For headphone listening, Hugo 2 retains the popular digital crossfeed function of the original and offers three operation modes. The system duplicates the effect of listening to speakers and is based on advanced binaural audio research.
Hugo 2 features four spherical control buttons, which illuminate with color-coding information and control power, input, filtering, plus the unit’s crossfeed functions. Battery playing time is around seven hours and two modes of automatic charging are included using the dedicated Micro USB charging port; an indicator shows charging and battery-charge status.
Note: The Hugo 2 is battery-powered, so compared to a component without battery power, there is no need for a reference-level audiophile cable, which can cost an additional $1,000-1,500.
- Materials: Clamshell precision machined aluminum casing with polycarbonate buttons, acrylic signal window, and glass viewing portal. Available in a choice of two colors – natural silver, and satin black
- Battery: 2x Rechargeable custom Enix Energies 3.7v 9.6Wh Li-ion (lithium-ion (2600mAh) batteries
- Tap length filter: 49,152 – 10 element Pulse Array design
- Playtime: over seven (7) hours
- Charging: Nominal six (6) hours via Micro USB at 1.8amps (fast charge) – Nominal eight (8) hours at 1amp (slow charge)
- Connectivity (input): Micro USB (White): 44.1kHz to 768kHz – 16bit to 32bit
- Coax via 3.5mm Jack (Red): 44.1kHz to 384kHz – 16bit to 32bit
- Dual data mode input (using both BNC coax inputs together): 44.1kHz to 768kHz – 16bit to 32bit
- Optical (Green): 44.1kHz to 96kHz – 16bit to 24bit
- Connectivity (input wireless): Bluetooth (Apt X) (Blue): 44.1kHz to 48kHz – 16bit
- Connectivity (output): 1x ¼” jack headphone output
- 1x 3.5mm jack headphone output
- 1x stereo (L & R) RCA output
- PCM support: 44.1kHz, 48kHz, 88.2kHz, 96kHz, 176.4kHz, 192kHz, 358.8kHz, 384kHz, 717.6kHz, and 768kHz. 16 – 32bit
- DSD support: Native playback supported. DSD64 (Single) to DSD512 (Octa-DSD
- Volume control: Digital, activated in 1dB increments. Last known state saved upon shutdown, with exception of line-level mode
- Line-level mode: Activated via dual press of middle ‘Source’ and ‘Crossfeed’ buttons. Line level = 3v via all outputs. Reset by power cycle
- Power saving mode: Auto-shutdown after ten minutes of input inactivity
- Driver support: Driverless with Mac OS X and Linux, driver required for Windows OS
User Configurable Options:
- Incisive neutral (Ultimate reference) (White)
- Incisive neutral HF roll-off (High Frequency roll off) (Green)
- Warm (‘Smooth’) (Orange)
- Warmer HF roll-off (High Frequency roll off) (Red)
Crossfeed (Digital IIR):
- Off – No Crossfeed
- Level 1 – Light
- Level 2 – Medium
- Level 3 – Heavy
- Remote control (included)
“There isn’t another DAC around at anywhere near this sort of price able to communicate so torrentially, so unambiguously or so effortlessly. We like it a lot.”
“Hugo 2 offers you transportability, desktop quality sound, beautiful design and a whole lot of in- and outputs but that all comes with a considerable price tag of $/€2195. You do get a perfect all-in-one unit however, one of the – if not THE – very best on the market.“
“If I sound deeply impressed by the Chord Hugo2, that’s because I am. At this moment in time I really can’t think of any other transportable headphone amp/DAC that can directly compete with Hugo2, or that even comes close.”
- Chipset: Chord Electronics custom coded Xilinx Artix 7 (XC7A15T) FPGA
- Tap-length: 49,152Pulse array: 10 element pulse array design
- Frequency response: 20Hz – 20kHz +/- 0.2dB
- Output stage: Class A
- Output impedance: 0.025Ω
- THD: <0.0001% 1kHz 3v RMS 300Ω
- THD and noise at 3v RMS: 120dB at 1kHz 300ohms ‘A’ wighted (reference 5.3v)
- Noise 2.6 uV ‘A’ weighted: No measurable noise floor modulation
- Signal to noise ratio: 126dB ‘A’ Weighted
- Channel separation: 135dB at 1kHz 300Ω
- Power output @ 1kHz 1% THD: 94mW 300Ω
- 740mW 32Ω
- 1050mW 8Ω
- Weight: 450g
- Dimensions: 2.3cm (H) 10cm (W) 13.1cm (D)
- Boxed Dimensions: 8.5cm (H) 12.2cm (W) 22cm (D)