Product Summary:Jaguar is an Authorized Retailer for all Ortofon products. The Ortofon 2M Black is the flagship of the 2M line. A stellar performer and an excellent value that earns our highest recommendation!... Click To Read More
Have Questions? 844-462-8346Call our experts for product info and advice or chat now with a specialist.
2M Black – Moving Magnet Phono Cartridge By Ortofon
Jaguar is an Authorized Retailer for all Ortofon products. The Ortofon 2M Black is the flagship of the 2M line. A stellar performer and an excellent value that earns our highest recommendation!
The flagship Ortofon 2M Black utilizes a Shibata stylus (usually not found on cartridges any where near this price). With a heavily upgraded generator and a proprietary body material, the 2M Black is exceedingly fast, detailed yet supremely musical.
The 2M series of cartridges feature Ortofon’s trademark split pole pins, an invention which enables moving magnet cartridges to have flat frequency response, just like a moving coil cartridge. Ortofon invented the Split pole pin technology and were originally offered in the 500 series and Super OM series.
The 2M series was developed in conjunction with Danish designer Møller Jensen Design – the same designer who designed the award-winning MC Jubilee and very successful Kontrapunkt series. Inspired by the facets of a diamond, whose contours gracefully trace the grooves on a record’s surface, the 2M’s handsome elegance establishes a great combination of form and functionality. The 2M series is designed for precise and accurate retrieval of the information in the record groove. Ortofon’s philosophy is to make cartridges which reproduce the record grooves as accurately as possible, without coloring the sound. The 2M series design has been optimized for ease of mounting and their weight and size fit virtually any current turntable.
The name 2M was selected among several ideas. Ortofon wanted a modern name which would be both easy to pronounce and to remember, therefore an alphanumerical name was chosen. Mathematically 2M can be also represented as MM, which also happens to be the abbreviation for moving magnet. Of course, the 2M isn’t just another pretty face. Engineered to the highest standards the 2M series follows Ortofon’s unrelenting commitment to providing the most precise and accurate reproduction possible without coloration.
Winner of The Absolute Sound’s 2008 “Product of the Year” Award – Neil Gader, The Absolute Sound, Product of Year Award Issue
“The 2M Red is the entry-level and 2M Black is the flagship. The 2M Black has a light, fast touch with good treble extension. Its greatest attribute is the way it provides a more transparent window on the world of micro-energies, permitting it to plumb the depths of soundstaging and dimensionality. Their performance is a fitting tribute to Ortofon and chief engineer Per Windfield!”
TNT Audio, April 2016 – Graeme Budd
“…the Ortofon’s strengths in detail, imaging, tracking and neutrality make for a compelling case. If you’re looking for a cartridge in this price range, be it MM or MC, it should definitely be on your shortlist.”
Hi-Fi News Yearbook 2011
“…When set-up, the Ortofon 2M Black was immediately engaging, sounding powerful and vivid…
…it was natural recordings of full orchestra that confirmed that the 2M Black is a stellar moving-magnet cartridge…
…The 2M Black delivers a holographic imagery worthy of the most sophisticated vinyl replay systems.”
- Output voltage at 1000 Hz, 5cm/sec. – 5 mV
- Channel balance at 1 kHz – 1 dB
- Channel separation at 1 kHz – 26 dB
- Channel separation at 15 kHz – 15 dB
- Frequency range at – 3dB – 20-31.000 Hz
- Frequency response – 20-20.000 + 2 / – 0 dB
- Tracking ability at 315Hz at recommended tracking force – 80 µm
- Compliance, dynamic, lateral – 22 µm/mN
- Stylus type – Nude Shibata
- Stylus tip radius – r/R 6/50 µm
- Tracking force range – 1,4-1,7g (14-17 mN)
- Tracking force, recommended – 1,5 g (15 mN)
- Tracking angle – 20°
- Internal impedance, DC resistance – 1,2 kOhm
- Internal inductance – 630 mH
- Recommended load resistance – 47 kOhm
- Recommended load capacitance – 150-300 pF
- Cartridge colour, body/stylus – Black/Black
- Cartridge weight – 7,2 g
- 2M PnP MkII cartridge with integrated headshell weight – 20 g
- 2M PnP MkII cartridge with integrated headshell length – 52 mm
- Replacement stylus unit – 2M Black (interchangeable with 2M Bronze)